Are you a student of science background and looking to work as a medical coder or biller? In today’s global atmosphere, US healthcare is a booming industry where youth can find a lot of opportunity. As the US healthcare industry most of the time outsources its services to developing countries, Indian students can have a good opportunity of pursuing a lucrative career abroad.
Now the question that may arise in your mind is- what is the function of medical coders? The function of medical coders is to create unique alpha numeric codes. These codes are then used for creating patient data for their insurance. Medical billing is used to process claim submission in health insurance. Both the streams of medical coding and medical billing are used in healthcare services and are very crucial for the US population.
The medical coders are in great demand in the US, especially from India as the youth of India are considered highly competitive and ready to take up the challenge. If you are looking for a steady career growth, something that will keep you secured throughout, medical coding is one such.
It’s the right time when you can get a certification in medical coding as the US healthcare industry is experiencing huge requirements in this field. In case you are still in doubt about why you should take up a career in medical coding, here are 5 of them:
- Medical coding is highly in demand- The statistics show employers looking for medical coders and healthcare technicians is much more than any other sectors. Graduates opting to study this vocation stand a big chance of landing into a good job in a reputed company.
- Flexible hours of work- In this life full of stress, maintaining a work life balance is tedious. As a medical coder, you can work both as a part-time employee or a full time professional with 40 hours of weekly worktime. Most of the industry’s require you to dedicate full-time attention, while this vocation gives you the flexibility of working at your own leisure.
- You have the freedom of working in multiple settings- You can have multiple options in terms of picking which setting you wish to work on. It could be doctor’s office, in a hospital, or a nursing home, outpatient health facilities, or even from your home. This job is in such a demand that it gives you the facility to choose. Most companies offer you the jobs from remote location. Imagine sitting in cool coffee shop and working at your free will.
- You can stay away from clinical visits- If you wish to work in the medical field, but you are afraid to work long hours, you have the soft side of working as a medical coder. This is a field where you don’t have to see a lot of blood and surgery, however, will get to work as a para medical practitioner. Here you are dealing with doctors and other medical practitioners while not getting into the dire business of dealing with blood.
- You can start your career at an early stage- The medical coding training program is only for 6 months. So, in less than a year’s time, you can become a medical coding trainer and can look to work in a good company either in India or abroad.
The following things are taught in Medical Coding Training certification program:
- Basics in medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology.
- Prepare to work in the health data management.
- Understand how medical law can comply with the ethical standards of the national health organizations.
- Receive trainings in health informatics and comply to the core standards provided by the American Health Association.
Medical coding is not just a career, it is also a lifetime assurance that you will have a job that is secured. Thanks to this vertical of employment in Healthcare industry that young students aspiring to take up a career in medical facility that is not a core doctor’s role can also lap it up. In today’s world where AI and ML has taken the front seat, jobs are scarce facility, medical coding provides you not only job guarantee but also job security.